Monday, November 16, 2015

Fluffy Bum

The words cloth and diapers get thrown around a lot in our house and that’s because we cloth diaper Grayson. Grayson wasn’t always cloth diapered but a few months ago, we decided to start. I already had an entire stash of diapers purchased for Joshua (that I used on and off with him) so it was just a matter of washing them, prepping them, and using them. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that cloth diapering Grayson seemed so much easier than cloth diapering Joshua…and I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because I had previous experience, or maybe because they just fit Grayson better, but this is the longest consecutive stretch I have gone with cloth diapering…I normally need a break after a month.

It’s been 5 months now since we started and my only complaint has been finding a wash routine that works with the washing machine in our new house. I have a hate-on for our washing machine and I desperately want a new one…one that is bigger and works better. So finding a wash routine was tricky and it took me over a month…Chris was the lucky one who heard the blunt of my complaining (and I still occasionally complain and day dream of the day we get to go buy a new one).

Hopefully this wash routine continues to work for us. My only worry is that since I have to use quite a large amount of detergent for the machine to clean properly that I’ll have to end up stripping my diapers because of detergent build up. Only time will tell.  


As it sits right now, I am happy with cloth diapering and love having a fluffy bum in our house! 

2 comments:

  1. What is your washing routine? And do you have a HE washer? I hear those are not cloth-diaper friendly because they always use the lowest amount of water possible based on the weight of the items in the washer.

    We use the tub of powdered detergent from Sam's Club called Windfresh. I run a wash cycle on warm with no soap, then a hot wash with normal amount of detergent I would use for a load that size, and an extra rinse. We haven't had any issues with detergent build up or detergent rash, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worst case scenario for me when it comes to washing machines...a front load HE! Right now, my wash routine is to rinse out the overnight diapers and any poopy diapers before storing them in the wet bag. Every 2-3 days I throw the diapers in the wash with a soaking wet towel (to add some extra weight to try and trick the machine to add more water). I then run a prewash without detergent, then a heavy cycle with hot water and powdered Tide detergent (I fill the scoop to the 2nd line). Next is an extra rinse and then the spin. I hang the diapers to dry. I have tried Rocking Green and Norwex but with this washing machine they do not seem to be doing the trick.

      Delete