Friday, October 9, 2015

Late Night Thief

It's 11:30 p.m. and I am woken up from a sound sleep. I can hear Joshua yelling for me in tears. He sounds panicked and I feel like I can't get to him fast enough. There he is, crying hysterically in his bed, barely able to catch his breath. And here I am, not sure what's wrong and barely able to function in my drowsiness. So I do what seems most natural, I cuddle him up in my arms and tell him everything is okay and that mommy is here. After about 10 minutes, Joshua has calmed down to the point of only sniffles and I am able to sneak out of his room and get back to sleep. 

It is now 3:30 a.m. and I slowly wake up to what I think is crying...was that part of my dream or is something wrong? Something is wrong, Joshua is crying hysterically again. I hate seeing my baby like this, something must be wrong. Is he having nightmares, was there a storm that I missed, what is wrong? I cuddle Joshua up in my arms and ask him what is wrong, and his response? “My cup!! My cup!!!”

Back up to 9:00 p.m., Chris and I always check on the boys before we go to bed. Joshua normally goes to bed with a sippy cup of water (with an ice cube, as per his request) but last night he wanted milk. I didn’t want him to drink any of the milk that was left in the morning, so I took his sippy cup. Now, what I should have done was replaced it with another sippy cup of water, but how is a mom to know?

Fast forward back to 3:30 a.m. and this mama can save the night! I quickly race to the bathroom (where I know he has left a sippy cup of water…he leaves them all over the house) and bring it back to him. TaaDaa! Here you go buddy, here’s a sippy cup. He quickly stops crying and happily grabs his cup and snuggles into bed with it, closes his eyes, and drifts back to sleep .

And this mama is able to crawl back into bed and stare at the ceiling because she is now wide awake.


I’ll have to make sure this evening the sippy cup thief doesn’t strike again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment