Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Camping in Algonquin Park

This past weekend, Chris, the boys, and I went on a mini family vacation with his parents and sister. We went up to Algonquin to go camping. I love vacations, even if they are only for a weekend, but what I don’t like is packing. Back in the day when I just had to pack for myself, it was easy, but add in two small kids and one large kid and packing becomes a nightmare well organized mission. When I got home Thursday evening, my mission began, Mission: Let’s Pack Up This Gang and Bake a Dessert. Mission completed in 2.5 hours…bring on the gold star!

Friday morning was Chris’ turn to shine…I normally do the packing of suitcases and things we need to bring while he normally takes care of fitting everything into the van. He must be pretty good at puzzles because I do not pack lightly yet he can get everything to fit. Our road trip down to Algonquin was smooth. We stopped for Starbucks (pumpkin spiced lattes are such a treat!) and we were on our way again. Then, it happened, motion sickness hit me like a rock. I felt so sick and I was panicked…I thought for sure I was going to throw up. I took some medication and sat as still as I could. Nothing was helping. I just needed to wait, and wait, and wait. It finally subsided and I was a happy camper again.

We made a pit stop at a Trading Post where I bought a pair of Moccasins. I’m only making note of this because I was so excited! I had a pair when I was younger that I bought while my family and I were on vacation up north. Unfortunately, that pair met it’s match when my dog thought they were a chew toy. I always said I would buy a new pair if I ever saw them again, and Friday was the day.

By the time we got to our campsite in Algonquin Park and the trailer set up, it was time for dinner. We made these pizza sandwich things over our fire…they were delicious and a lot of fun to make. Although by this point, Chris was hungry and growing a bit hangry. We put the boys to bed and both boys slept well the first night in the trailer, which I was worried about…not so much Joshua, but Grayson because he isn’t the heaviest of sleepers but they both did great and I think everyone enjoyed waking up to Grayson’s babbling.

On Saturday, we spent the day walking trails and canoeing. We walked the Track and Tower Trail and the Lookout Trail. Both were beautiful. Chris, his sister, and I did the Track and Tower Trail while his parents watched the boys for us. We brought along a bear bell so Chris and his sister could shut me up about being attacked by a bear to be on the save side. Afterwards, the 3 of us went out on a canoe with Joshua who seemed a tad bit terrified to be out on a boat again (and I don’t blame him after his incident on the paddle boat when he fell into the lake). It was my first time canoeing as well so every little tilt of the canoe had me in a fit. I was paddling at the front with Chris steering in the back and I can only imagine the self-control he had to muster up to keep from getting frustrated (I can’t imagine I would want to be canoeing with someone like me either who had no idea that shifting her bum because it was numb would completely tilt the whole canoe). Next, it was time for the Lookout Trail. This is a trail we all did, including the boys. I was looking forward to it. I knew the views from the top would be beautiful, but I had no idea how steep the trail was. Chris was pushing Grayson up in the stroller and Joshua was being adventurous and was walking up with us. Well, after the first steep hill, Joshua had had enough, he wanted in the stroller…smart kid because if I had the option, I would have done the same! It was well worth all the effort of getting that stroller to the top because the views were breathtaking. God’s beautiful creation as far as the eye could see. A lot of the trees had not turned to their fall colours yet, but there were still some trees in vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows. On our way back down the trail, this was the conversation Joshua and I had:

Me: Joshua, what are we doing?
Joshua: Going on a bear hunt!
Me: Are we going to catch a big one?
Joshua: YAH!
Me: And what are we going to name him?
Joshua: Big One!


Camping with little ones is a lot of fun. Joshua was busy riding his bike, canoeing, feeding chipmunks, roasting marsh mellows, and exploring the trails. Joshua was also pretty excited that we got to sleep in a trailer. Grayson spent quite a bit of time outside on his bike, crawling in the dirt, and exploring the trails, but Grayson also enjoyed just relaxing. I enjoyed spending time with our family…it is vacations like this that I love because we are able to spend quality time with one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment